Sunday, July 8, 2012

On Completing You Know Me, Etc Draft

This past week, I took some time off from work. Amongst other things, I spent my morning entirely focused and entrenched in You Know Me, Etc. Thursday morning, I finished the first draft.

Part of me is still in shock. I've been working on this project since 2006, and even though I've made it to a huge milestone, it's still sinking in. The other part of me is a little tired. I've been through the process before, and I know exactly how much work is still ahead of me in getting You Know Know Me. Etc into print. I plan to spend the next year or so editing, polishing, and making sure it's as close to being done as possible before releasing it into the print world.

Speaking of printing . . . I've been out of toner for two years, and never really needed to print anything until now. (I'm one of those strange creatures who needs to edit my own work on a page, not a screen.) So I made a special trip to my local office supplies store, ponied up money for toner and some paper . . . and the cartridge crapped out on me before I finished printing one copy of all the chapters. *sigh* As soon as it's printed and "real," I plan on posting a picture of it.

Having finished the first draft, I can now spend a bit more time and attention on my next writing project. In a nutshell, I will be working with a feminist revision of The Godfather. There is no title yet, and the characters are still amorphous blobs waiting to take shape, but the concept is there and I'm very excited about it!

No comments: