Tuesday, March 31, 2009

After the Fire

For some time now, I've been trying to decide what to do with She Bears a King, my first novel. Wrote it in 2006, it's about a contemporary woman who becomes pregnant by Jesus Christ, who has become a mega-celebrity living in Hollywood. Needless to say, it's a hard sell for a first book from an unestablished writer. After getting mildly discouraged after the first fifty rejection letters (no joke -- I counted), I decided that a re-write was in order. More ideas had developed in my mind, and I had a better sense of the book's themes and how they should really be presented. So I metaphorically set fire to my book, burning through the clutter and letting the story's structure reveal itself. Now, I find myself with a charred draft that needs attention before it's reader-ready again, but unable to stop pushing forward relentlessly with my current project, You Know Me, Etc. I keep going back and forth -- divide my time and focus between the two, or let the remains settle for a while. I can still visit the burnt out frame if I want to.

No comments: